Our client is one of the largest contract research organizations (CRO) providing clinical trials services with annual revenues of over $2 billion, and over 11,000 employees in more than 60 countries
Currently the market demands that sponsors of clinical trials find ways to reduce trial complexity, drug development costs, and get more value from limited research and development budgets. The main goal of this project is to develop a platform that helps investigators to find out the most risky parts of a clinical trial and thus to reduce the cost of an entire study. Application has to be performant, user-friendly and elegant — strength, function and beauty are the essential qualities here.
Our team performed architecture design, database design, selection of 3rd party libraries, development, quality assurance, setup and maintenance of build system, and issue tracking.
Agile development approach is used for this project. Quality is one of the main focuses of the project. In addition to functional testing, we use continuous integration, automated testing, code reviews, load testing and security testing.
To provide the best user experience, we created a Web 2.0 single page application with a large set of visualizations. We used an AngularJS as a front-end framework and ASP .NET Web API for back end of the application in order to provide the required level of maintainability, performance and flexibility. Besides, we chose D3.js library for visualization, because most of requirements are very specific and cannot be implemented in other charts frameworks.
We used Atlassian products stack for development — JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo and Stash. The latter provides such possibilities as Git repositories, branch management, and pull requests mechanism, which, we believe, has a great impact on source code quality.
The application has been developed according to GxP guidelines and validated by US Federal Drug Administration. A distributed Customer project team is running other system parts, such as ETL, using Agile methodologies.
The first version has been released for testing group and it got a very positive feedback. The team is continues adding features to the application.